Tuesday, December 1, 2009

(temples.) beaches. cliff faces. sunrise. to sundown.

Traveling through underdeveloped areas can test a person’s aptitude to “deal” quite a bit. Yesterday, I had taken such an examination while traveling north, northwest to the India- Pakistan border stopping along the way for little sight seeing. My mother, two aunts, Kaushal (remember..? the cousin), and I began our journey leaving Gandhidham relatively early, our first destination was reached within the first hour of our travel.

The Jain temple of Bhadreshwar- after a massive earthquake in 2001 devastated much of the area we were in as well as neighboring regions, the original temple was destroyed along with a significant portion of the complexes buildings. Over the next couple of years construction started into building a more impressive structure- in these photos you can truly appreciate the grandeur and detail paid to hand carving each design, religious idol, and pillar that were laid so beautifully. However, you can still see the metaphoric scars from the ruins left caused by the quake in the surrounding scenery (which only goes to prove the, “when you fall, you must get up” theory.)


I remember at one point being so dumbfounded at what my eyes were seeing, I thought to myself “…you really can’t go out and buy this prepared now can you!?” Wearing shorts yesterday- I was denied entry to entering the temple, whilst my mother and aunts proceeded inside, I did take the moment to snap a couple photos- you should have seen the faces of the local men and women as they observed me snapping away- It was as though I painted on a white face- and stamped “American” or “National Geographic” on my forehead. After a quick bite to eat- we again were on our way to our next objective.

"Here among the constant ruins and rebuilding of civilizations lie the coexistence of diversity and intolerance." -David K. Shipler

No comments:

Post a Comment